12 June, 2010

As I stood there.....

As I stood there in the compound of the Mecca Masjid, I reminisced the last 4 years I have been in Hyderabad.

I still remember clearly stepping out of the Begumpet Airport, filled with dreams and visions of the blaze of glory I will leave behind me in every thing I will do in my professional career.

Once out of the airport, the first words that came out of my mouth were, "This is so like Lucknow, so like Home". I come from a small city called Unnao, and Lucknow being the place where I did my engineering from and where my relatives stay has always been home to me.

Being from a small city I can never get used to the hustle bustle that big cities like Delhi and Mumbai have to offer. But, I never felt out of place in Hyderabad. The markets, the roads, and above all the people always made me feel at home. And nothing comes closer to my heart than the old city.

This part of the metropolis with its old world charm, narrow lanes and narrower bylanes, old time ambiance and with its people always made me feel as if I had stepped back in time to an era long gone and forgotten. Some people say that this part of the city is not safe, and some may never set their feet here or venture out alone, but to me this place denotes what we have forgotten in our race to become a modern, growing economy.

I have visited the old city many times, mostly just on a whim to be here, and have always returned at peace with myself and my surroundings. But today, as I stood there, I was not filled with peace, but with the sadness. I never thought I would feel what I felt then -- the feeling of going away, of leaving home, and of not knowing when (if ever) I will come back.

I know that when I decided to move to Bangalore it was a conscious choice, and I had the option of staying back here. And yet I decided to move out of here for personal and professional reasons. But I also know that when I leave this city, I will leave a part of me behind -- roaming aimlessly in the bylanes of the old city like I do now. I just hope that someday I get a chance to come back and meet him -- and maybe listen to his experiences and tales over a cup of hot, steaming Irani chai and a serving of Hyderabadi Biryani.


This is Hashir, signing off

Hasta la vista -- my beloved city, my home.

P.S. - There is a legend about the stone benches in the compound of the Mecca Masjid which states that anyone who sits on them will always come back to Hyderabad. I never believed in this legend until today, and so I sat there for some time. Lets see if it is true........

16 comments:

Anu Menon said...

:) that was a lovely post... Yea i hav a very spl place for hyd in my heart it being my home town and all :) But when it's time to move on - i guess one just moves on... Have a lovely time in Blore... Do visit Hyd! Bon Voyage

Sameera said...

Never read such a beautiful description of Hyderabad ever before..! I have been to Hyderabad innumerable number of times but never lived there.

All the best for the new beginning in Bangalore!! It is beautiful place too. Karnataka is simple a state with blessed landscape! So many lakes, waterfalls.. weather.. it is amazing! People are nice!

Garima said...

Oh my God Hashir..I could really imagine how you might have felt while writing the post. Its painful to leave the city where we have spent some real milestone moments of our professional and personal lives. Anyways, the show must go on..who knows you might have to return to Hyd :)
All the very Best and keep us posted!

Hashir said...

@Anu,

Yeah, this place sure is special. And will keep visiting Hyderabad... though am not sure if it will be permanent

Hashir said...

@Sam,
Thanks for your words. And I know Bangalore almost as well, as all my friends from college are there and so visits are quite normal. Waiting to explore Karnataka now :)

Hashir said...

@Garima,
Yeah, it is painful to leave a city, and more so if you are so attached to the life and the people... but then the show must go on right?
Still have a few days here... and hoping to make the most of them :)

Corinne Rodrigues said...

Great post....I can empathise with you totally. But like you said most people who have lived in Hyd come back - eventually. Good luck with Bengaluru....and hope to meet you soon.

Hashir said...

Thanks Corinne.... n yeah, am hoping to come back and also to meet you soon :)

IcE CaNdy MaN said...

Awesome mate...... I'd rank this as Post of the Year :-)

Hashir said...

Thankyou bhai.... am honoured.

R said...

Awww...very sweet post. I started a travel blog recently. One of my contributors had been to Hyd. The latest post is a lovely pic of Mecca masjid.
http://wayfarersandpathfinders.blogspot.com

Hashir said...

@Julia,

Sorry for the late reply.... like the new blog as well :)

Anonymous said...

Awesome theme for the blog

Hashir said...

@Nivedita,

Thanks....

Anonymous said...

I forgot to tell how the post is. It is AWESOME!!:) !! Truly. Especially the end!!

Hashir said...

Thanks again Divenita