15 April, 2009

A confession - and a dilemma

I have a confession to make - I am a complete, hopeless spendthrift. The only time I have saved money in my life is when I had to purchase something. But, after getting a job even this habit has started to vane thanks to the great EMI offers, Personal Loans, and credit cards. Infact, the only reason why I am not neck deep in debt is that I still do have a somewhat sensitive head, which stops me from following all my heart's whims and fancies (though I don't listen to it that much).

Okay, now that I have confessed, let me come to the next point of discussion - which is the current dilemma I am in. Before talking (or rather, writing) about that, let me give you a bit of a background which has given rise it. The thing is, we are Inshallah going to have a function at my place in October/November (and no, I am neither getting engaged nor married, yet). Obvoiusly, when you have a function at home, there are a lot of expenses involved, and I want to support my Dad to the fullest possible extent. This means that I have to start saving from now - since my present bank balance is zero (thankfully it is not in negative).

Now, coming back to my dilemma - it is about whether or not should I go ahead and purchase a bike? The thing is - with Tech Mahindra having taken over Satyam, I can breath more easy now than before, and also since I have already paid the last semester's fee of my MS, so some of my expenses have reduced. So, I can think of buying a bike. The problem is, the bike I want to purchase costs a little over 1 Lakh INR, since my dream bike is the Thunderbird


I have wanted to have a bullet since I was a kid, and the TBTS is that and more. And, I know that I am short, fat, and that I won't look good on the bike - so all my detractors - you have no points to comment on (evil grin!!).

This is my dilemma. Should I buy it now, or should I wait till say August, see my bank balance, and then decide on whether I can take the risk or not. I am thinking on these lines, and am requesting you to think and suggest. Till then,

This is a confused Hashir, signing off

Over and out

10 comments:

Kadambari said...

Ahaa! I would suggest you to wait. Given the fact that the bike costs way more than the regular ones, it'd be wiser to save some money first.

In the meanwhile, I guess you have alternate means of transportation! Just in case you end up saying that you're commuting on a on donkey's back and you urgently need a bike! :P

Reveda Prisha Umankshi Bhatt said...

Your first duty is to support your dad and I don't think it is possible for you to do that with the near to zero bank balance...Save money and don't spend...

Your payback time has started...whether they need money or not is immaterial...you need to do your bit...reason for no dilemma whatsoever....

Put the bike on the backburner till that function gets over....

Choco said...

The simple fact that you have gone into all this trouble of writing a post on the matter just goes to show that deep deep down (really deep deep down), in your heart you know what to do. :D

Yes I agree with the two people above when I say listen to your heart. Wait till August my friend. And the bike will probably be a tad cheaper by then too!

Hashir said...

@Kadambari,
hmmm - I agree with you, but you know what they say - the heart has its own way of doing things :(.
Waise I do have my cycle for commuting - so won't say that am doing so on a donkey's back (Lolz)

Hashir said...

@Reveda,
I totally agree kid. That is the only reason why I am in a dilemma. We'll see what comes of it

Hashir said...

@Choco,
think it is a bit too deep :(.
And I totally agree with you. Will wait till August and then see.
Looks like its gonna be my Birthday present ;)

Vatsal Rathod said...

I would also say the same as Choco has said.. your heart knows what is the correct path.. it is just that you are here searching for some excuse, if anyone of us could provide you, so that you can go ahead and buy the bike. But I dont think anyone here would advice you that. So listen to your heart and make the decision 'Confused Hashir' :-D

Hashir said...

@Vatsal,
actually I was searching for some sane voices to help me overcome my impulsiveness, thats why posted it here. BTW, Nafs adviced me to go for it (on the Satyam blog ofcourse).

Vamsi said...

@Hashir...commenting late though....Guess it would be better to wait for sometime before making an investment (that too 5 digit figure dude)

My 2 cents would be to wait until we are completely settled in the hands of new management.

To sound diplomatic i would say its up to u :-):-)

Hashir said...

@Vamsi,
It is never late to hear from you :)
I too agree that it is a better decision to wait for sometime before making such an investment.