14 May, 2009

A saga of nicknames

We all know about nicknames. Most of us must have one (atleast), ar atleast given some nicknames to their friends or family members.

Somehow, I seemed to have missed the Nickname bus when it passed me by. So, right from school to college and now to job, I never had a nickname - well, actually, a nickname that stuck or was popular enough to make me identify with it.

The first name I remember having (or rather, giving myself), was that of the great Indian comic hero, Super Commando Dhruv (Now I fail to understand what I saw in my skinny little self to do that then, but then that is what being  child is all about). This name never went beyond me - and till end of my +2, I never got another nickname. (The only one that came close was "Tu Fail" - a breakup of my surname - but it was only used during result distribution. Strangely, I have never failed in any exam my whole life, not counting the various entrance exams I gave.)

The same thing happened in college. While I was active in giving names to my friends and teachers, somehow never got named (or renamed) myself. It was always the plain old "Hashir" for me.

And now, even in job, never got a real nickname. The one that came close was Hash, which my onsite tech lead called me once or twice. But thats it. Still no nickname for me :(.

So, seems like my search for the elusive nickname continues. Any ideas where I can find one?

This is Hashir (searching for that elusive nickname), signing off

Over and out.

14 comments:

Karie said...

If you are ever going to have a nickname... someone will give it to you at random.

Hashir said...

Karie,
nice to see your comment here.
Yeps, I agree - but somehow that random never happened :(

Reveda Prisha Umankshi Bhatt said...

I would suggest- Doodle....

Kadambari said...

Happens! Usually long or strange names get broken down. I'm called Kaddu, CAD, Cadbury, Kadhe-mein-bhari, what not! :)

Vatsal Rathod said...

Dude even I dont have a nickname yaar.. in childhood, my uncles and aunty's used to call me Vicky, but I got so much used to this name that if someone would call me Vatsal, I couldnt know that I am being called. So my mom started a campaign and scolded everyone who called me Vicky, because she gave me this name Vatsal and the last thing she would have wanted was that my name be changed to some Vicky than this good-to-hear Sanskrit name. So from then on, Vicky died and there is only Vatsal left without any nickname. :-(((

The Pack said...

I guess iy was decided HASH # :)

Anonymous said...

WHAT? you dont have a nick name??I am a pro at nick-naming! I would have happily named you hersheys, you know the horrible chocolate brand!!! or may be i would have called you hush-ir when you made unwanted noise ;-)!!

Hashir said...

@Reveda,
nice name... you can call me that :D

Hashir said...

@Kadambari,
well my name sure is a bit strange (not many people are able to pronounce it the first time). But still - no nick names :(

Hashir said...

@Vats,
how is this for a nickname huh??

Hashir said...

@Deepak,
yeps it was sire.... specially for Satyam blogs ;)

Hashir said...

@Ramya,
wish you were my classmate.... then I would have had a few nicknames

Anonymous said...

Hi Hash!!:-)
You have been tagged. Please visit my latest post and pick up your tag and award.

Hashir said...

Hi Adarsh,
thanks for tagging me. I have listed 10 things about myself. do check them out :D