21 January, 2009

Ramblings of an Indian muslim

I am a Muslim…. And an Indian. As a Muslim, I have certain duties. As an Indian, I have certain responsibilities. Being an Indian, I am angered when someone attacks my country. Being a Muslim, I am pained when people condemn all Muslims just because the attackers claimed to be Muslims.

I feel that this religional divide is more deep rooted than we think. Maybe that is why my Sanskrit teacher praised me when I topped in her paper, saying that I mastered the language inspite of it not being my language. I have met people who are surprised that in an Indo-Pak cricket match, I always support India. I have interacted with people who say that it is strange for me to abuse Pakistan….

What pains me the most is when educated, well to do people harbour such prejudices against Indians of my faith. Just because I am a Muslim does not mean that I am not Indian, or that I do not love my country. But still, even after 60 years of my fellow brethren proving their loyalities, we are asked to do so time and again by raking up issues which are painful. The Babri masjid act, the genocide of Muslims in Godhra, the vande matram controversy and many other actions ask us to prove our loyalities…… but don’t these people realize that they are just dividing the country – specially at a time when there is a need for us to stand united.

On top of all this, we have people who regard Narender Modi as the prime minister in waiting – maybe his economic policies are good – but what about his role in the Gujarat riots and selective killing of Muslims? Are we not citizens of this country? What proof is needed for the majority to realize that we are also Indians, we too are elated when India triumphs, we also weep when something bad happens in India……

I have also met people who think that Muslims do nothing other than plan terrorist attacks and disrupt peace. After the Delhi bomb blasts and subsequent killing of the terrorists by the Delhi police, one of the parents had disowned his son for attacking his country. This act was very brave – and should be recognized. And the comment I hear is – he did this because of social pressure. I mean, come-on guys - give me a break and please give the old man his due – but no. no matter what we do – we are still branded terrorists.

If so, what about the bajrang dal activists who instigated communal violence in Southern India and killed scores of Christians – do their actions make 80% of our population terrorists. Or the Maoist and ULFA make others who follow their religion terrorists?

What about those who refuse tenants just because they are muslims, or make fun of my religion without knowing about it.....I can go on and on….. just wanted to pent out my feelings after hearing some comments by my team member…..

This is an Indian, and a Muslim, signing off

Over and out

** I do not want to offend anybody - just had to clear my mind and write my take on the "All muslims support terrorists and/or Pakistan" impression

17 comments:

Anne said...

Agree with you Hashir. This stereotyping should stop. I know many who hate muslims and believe they should be extingusihed to stop terrorism. That is a very narrow-minded thinking. I have so many muslim friends who are probably more patriotic than me.

Choco said...

Hey thanks for commenting on my blog.
And I can understand your sentiments in this post. The thing is that there is always a certain section (groups and/or government), that causes trouble. This holds even for Pakistan. I refuse to believe every commoner there has anti Indian sentiments.
Also I feel it is not wrong to use the term Islamic terrorists. There is a post in my blog on this. But that does not imply, that one should feel all who follow a religion, that obviously does not teach violence, to be terrorists. It just means we recognize the source of trouble and will step up on our own security. Security, for the citizens of our country, is seriously lacking.

Nal said...

Hi Hashir,

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog..nice to know I have readers!!

Just went through your blog (both of them!)..I really like your topics and how you write.

Nalini

Hashir Tufail said...

@Anne,
exactly my point. Why is it that anyone is deemed less patriotic if he is not in the majority?

Hashir Tufail said...

@Nal,

thanks for your comment and thanks for visiting

Hashir Tufail said...

@Choco,
Thanks for understanding my point of view.
As far as the issue of "Islamic Terrorism" is concerned, I disagree. Because, the source of this so called jihad is not Islam - but a section of people who believe that the whole world is out there gunning for them and their religion. Their belief in no way matches mine - or that of millions of Muslims scattered across the globe. Tell me, just because most of the members of LTTE are Tamils, does that mean that LTTE spreads Tamil violence? No, right. So, why Islamic terrorism?

ramya said...

I TOTALLY agree with you. The constitution framers made India a secular country. Unlike Pakistan, people of religions other than Hindus were allowed to live in India. It does not make sense to treat Muslims like foreigners. And, its not about supporting India in cricket, the issue is wider. I remember one of my classmate telling to another classmate who is a muslim that 'their' people are responsible for Mumbai Blasts.
You have jotted the issue very well :)

Hashir Tufail said...

@Ramya,
thanks for visiting my blog and commenting. Yes. I agree, the issue is wider than just a cricket match. I gave that example just to show that we are treated as outsiders in every walk of life.

Deepika said...

its good that you penned down what you feel.... even am against such idiotic beliefs we are INDIANS whether hindu or muslim.... its about nation... And there are people who exploit India even after being hindu... its useless and completely wrong to blame any religion for anything.... I have very good friends among muslims and i hate it when people say such stuff about any religion..

Hashir Tufail said...

@Deepika,
I feel the same way... and really am surprised when someone reacts like this :(

Sudhir Kekre said...

Hashir,
very succintly expressed.It takes all kind of people to make this world. Thank God the insensitive are in minority. Best thing is to ignore them. you should be proud of the support you got here.
not only you, each one goes through this trauma deserves it.

Sameera said...

You are an Indian and anyone who questions that doesn't understand the constitution of his own country. Mock at them. Don't feel hurt.

boo said...

Hey Hashir,

We did not have to listen to few 'frog-calls' and get disturbed. Do not let others influence your thoughts. We are bros, and nothing forbids us in saying that aloud..!

Just ignore the noises on your way forward to success..

The post is one of your kind..!! A good emotional one ..!! :-) Cheer up mate..

Zeba said...

*Write more

Zeba said...

I totally agree. Religion and citizenship are 2 different things. I don't understand indian muslims who support paki land during cricket matches. I don't like it when muslims are more commonly known as terrorists.

I saw your blog at the right time. Have to vent it out. . . Just a few days back I heard that a 'friend' of mine was talking behind my back because of the religion I follow. Telling mean things. I felt really bad. But then again, its her loss. She lost a friend who cared for her. I hate it when people claim they are broad minded and can't even get past the religion devide. Shame really.

Why don't you right more?

Vatsal Rathod said...

Bravo!! and why did you put that disclaimer in the end?? no need to elaborate what you intended to convey, because those who are sensible enough will easily extract the correct message; and those who are narrow-minded, are never going to be able to do it anyway..

And I must say noone could have conveyed the pain of a patriotic Indian Muslim in a better way. That old man who disowned his son deserved a pat on back from the government as well as the society, but India is known for injustice to the right and we were spot on this time as well. I agree with you that terrorists shouid be seen as terrorists only, no religion, caste, color, regionality should classify them. They are there to kill everybody who comes in the way of their objective, be it the person from their own religion. I person with firm principles can never do this. Once I heard an interview of a terrorist who was asked by a journalist, "Would you have killed you mother also if she were to obstruct you in your job??" And he replied shamelessly, "Yes.. because I was doing God's job and if someone stops me then they are the Satan's representatives and Satan must be removed..". What a coward thinking!! Leave it.. I got carried away :-)

But I truly believe in each and every word of your content.. let the Indian Judicial system decide the fate of Modi and Bajrang Dal, we are no one to acquit or blame them. One thing I firmly believe in is, Heaven and Hell are here on earth only; and no one dies sooner than he\she has enjoyed the fruits of their noble deeds or suffered the punishments of their sins, eventhough I am an agnostic.

Keep writing buddy. Jai Hind!!

The Panorama said...

Straight from the heart. This was a very nice post and I totally agree with you.

Unfortunately bigots always get more splashing headlines but there are many Indians like me who do not need such tests of loyalty from any muslim, living in India.
Terrorists have no religion, according to me ,so I won't call them muslims or hindus or anything.

Good luck and don't give up:)