11 January, 2009

Shame on the insensitive media

Here I am, sitting in front of my laptop screen and trying to analysing the happenings of the last few days and how they are going to affect the lives of people working in Satyam in particular and in the Indian IT outsourcing industry in particular.

The first thing that comes to mind when I think of the past few days is the insensitive and unprofessional manner in which Indian media has handled the scam done by founder of Satyam computer service limited. By now, you must have guessed that I too am a Software engineer working in Satyam.

Maybe the scam was big, and the media needed to get sound bytes and to get the mind of Indians from the Mumbai terror attacks. But this does not mean that they have the right to spread baseless rumours without thinking about the affect they might have on the families of those who are staying away from home. Me and my colleagues were hounded with calls from concerned friends and relatives trying to confirm news about “No salary for two months”, “Satyam being locked”, and “Satyam fires 15000 associates on bench”. We had a hard time explaining them that all these are baseless rumours and nothing else, and all we want at this critical juncture of our professional life is to be left alone so that we can concentrate on the bigger task on hand, which is to do our job to the best of our abilities.

Apart from these calls from friends and family who had no way of knowing what is happening inside, what irritated me most was some of my fellow associates pinging me and asking me about my future plans. Well, let me answer all their queries in the only way I know – which is point blank and 100% truth – that I am sticking here. I am not being emotional or loyal, I too am concerned and worried about the financial mess I may land up in if I have no job (which actually is inshallah not going to happen), but I really believe that now is the time to work for the company not just in monitory terms by earning moolah from the client, but by being useful in our own small ways…. And for all those who are running away or are planning to run away – all I can say is that my organization does not need cowards like them. It is in times of difficulty that the true character of a man emerges – and I am really sorry to note that many of those whom I held in high regard have fallen from my esteem. I can do nothing, but atleast I am warned!

I am touched by the support that most of my friends and family has shown towards me. They have told me not to worry about anything – and are only concerned that I do not get tense because of what has happened.

Having said all this, I really believe that it is time that Media is taught about ethics and morals. How would they feel if their job was in the firing line, and their parents and family were far away with nothing but the idiot box to tell them what is happening? I think they should stop for a moment and think on these lines. I am really impressed by The Times of India, which atleast has the guts and the thoughtfulness to retract any wrong info they published, and to mention the rumours that are being spread by some insensitive channels and papers looking for a scoop. For the rest of the media, I just have one sentence to say – SHAME ON YOU GUYS!

I will keep updating this space with the latest happenings in Satyam and my thoughts on their affects on our lives.

This is a proud Satyamite, signing off…..

Over and out

5 comments:

Vamsi said...

@Hashir.. I agree with you point to point....

It is times like these that test the Waters and certainly we are here to stand and prove that we are worthy enough to be counted upon...

I am not sure/ qualified enough to talk about the so called scam but true to my heart i shall deliver my best in such times of crisis....

Never let the fire put off...just like a Satyamite's spirit

Hashir said...

@Vamshi,

thanks for your words of support. we as a team and as a family are there, standing united for Satyam. i am sure that we will tide over the situation and emerge stronger and better than ever....

Zabi said...

So true man, totally agree. I am so with you, a fellow satyamite

Hashir said...

@Zabi
thnx for the support mate

VAITHEESWARAN NS said...

Media Lost its Dignity in a common man face after recent developments in indian Socio poltical econmoic disasters!!!!!