29 July, 2009

A new place to call home

Because of the fact that me and my roommates finally decided to shift out of the place we currently stay at and the approaching month end looming over my head, I have been forced (for the first time in Hyderabad) to look for a place to stay. And since our offices are in different areas and also because I wanted to stay alone, I decided to look for a single room accomodation for myself.

Since the rents at Sindhi colony (where I stay right now) are sky high and because it is difficult to find a livable single room here, I decided to shift to Karkhana. It is a good locality, about 2 kilometers from my office, kind of laid back (the way I prefer), and has all shops in the near vicinity.

So, spent Saturday looking for a room to stay. The first place I went had a single room on the third floor (pent house they call it) with a big enough roof to satisfy a small city boy like me who misses that and more in the apartments. The only problem was the rent - he quoted 3K while I wanted a place in the range of 2.5K.

The second place had 3 rooms on the top floor with common washroom and toilet. That guy also had like 8-10 dogs who were all locked on the top floor itslef. On top of that, the ceiling was asbestous. Now, anyone who has stayed in Hyderabad knows that the summers are too hot to risk living in such a room. The only saving grace was that the rent he quoted was 2K.

The third and fourth places with a "To Let" board were locked, and the fifth room I checked was too damp and stuffy for my liking. Here too the rent was 2K.

I decided to call up the first guy and ask if he was ready to give the room for 2.5K. Sadly, he refused. I then discussed with a few friends and with my parents and sisters. Their advise was the same - take a room which you like, even if it is a bit expensive. After all - that is why you are earning, right?

So, finally decided to take the first room on rent. Will be shifting on the first of August - which means I will be offline for some time till I get the internet connection transferred. Right now, all I am worried about is how to pack all my stuff in the bags I have. Seems to me that it has grown exponentially - what with all the CDs, DVDs, and books I have bought by the dozen.

Any how, have started packing and all. Will be giving an update on how that went as soon as I get the internet connection transferred. Also, will be writing about my experiences staying alone - as this is going to be the first time. But somehow I feel that this is what I really need - some time alone. Till then,

This is Hashir, signing off (to continue packing)

Over and out

8 comments:

ArtDeveloper said...

That's true buddy...everybody needs his/her own space.... sometime we like be alone...

Meenakshi said...

Wopnderful.

Hope you have a wonderful packing and moving experience. :-)

Wishing you a wonderful time in the new room all by yourself; it surely is gonna be a one big experience time. :)
Take care. Njoy!

workhard said...

OHHH... Room hunting and shifting can be quite a daunting task!!!!!

Ur lucky you found one so easily

Work from home

Corinne Rodrigues said...

Karkhana, eh....close to my parent's place..
C

Hashir said...

@Art Developer...
yeah you are right... n may be right now I need more space than normal

Hashir said...

@Meenaxi,
Sure had a great experience. Somehow, I have been packing and moving atleast once for the last 7 years ;)

Hashir said...

@Workhard...
yeah, thankfully I found it easily. In part because my friends helped me a lot

Hashir said...

@Corinne,
yeps....

@All,
Sorry for delay in replying