03 July, 2009

Why?

Right now, after the long hiatus, I have a lot of posts going in my mind and screaming at me to let them out and share them here. I planned to start from yesterday itself but unfortunately for me (and fortunately for you) internet was not connecting. So, I start today

This post is a question - a question to all those who are married or committed. Those who have found their soul mates, thier life partners. May be it is great having someone to share everything with, and you want us single people to enjoy the same.

But who gives you the right to interfere in our private affairs, to judge us, to consider us liars when we say that we are happy being single at the moment. May be we have not found the right person yet, maybe we are commitment phobic, or may be we are just plain happy being single.

Who asks you to discuss us with a hint of sympathy in your voice - as if we are faking our happiness and are internally dying to get into a commitment with anybody and everybody? Who allows you to perser us with advise on how to get a girl (or a boy, as the case may be)? Who asks you to count the days for us and tell us that we are getting old and that we need to get into a commitment soon.

And since when this all this start to matter. Since when did having a boyfriend or a girlfriend become a necessity and a social obligation. Call me an idiot and a romantic, but I believe that one should enter a relationship when one feels like, and not because of social or peer pressure.

Am sorry for boring you people, but I have been brimming with anger since a friend of mine called me up and told me that he has been discussing my "SITUATION" with a mutual aquaintence. Mind it - not with a friend, but with an aquaintence.

I have nothing against relationships. I just am plain happy being single at the moment. So all you "pseudo" friends and advisors pay heed, the next time you come to me with unsolicited advise - you are going to get a mouthful and then some more. So, beware.

This is Hashir, signing off,

Over and out

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was written well...

I planned to start from yesterday itself but unfortunately for me (and fortunately for you) internet was not connecting. LOL :D

Have a great weekend :)

Cheers!!!

Deepika said...

he he he.... Very Well written... And true... M commitment phobic and i agree... And m happily single... its better be single than being in a false or a fake relation....

I felt as if u r annoyed with someone ;)) is it so??

R said...

Almost all single, young adults face the same attitude, more so in our country. There is ridicule, sympathy, suspicion and what not surrounding our 'singleness'. At times I retaliate by telling people not to bother about me, at times I just ignore such things.

Hashir said...

@Kido,
thanks for dropping by :)

@Deepika,
hmmm.. I agree with you on this :D.
And yes, am really pissed of with a friend :(

@Julia,
Finally... good to see you back. Usually I too ignore such people, but have been running into a lot of them of late.

Reveda Prisha Umankshi Bhatt said...

And here comes another perspective- Actually, these questions are nothing but derivative of the social fabric of this country wherein society (or you can say "people") expect you to tie the knot after a certain age.........Try and imagine asking this question- "Are you married" to people from other countries...........they will perceive it differently according to the norms in their country....... But, in India is is everyone's birthright to know your status and if it answers comes in negative...you are bound to hear some suggestions or piece of advice.......

So, take a chill pill man!

And yes that's why we have two ears........so that we do not have to store those incidents in between.......

BTW...when are you planning to get married! LOL

Hashir said...

Alok,
hmmm.... maybe you are right. But the current buggers are people who till yesterday were all for celebrating their freedom, and now that they are about to get married or are, they claim the right to comment on us.
Waise you are right the ears bit.. m trying to do that :)
n about d plans.. not any time soon for sure :P

Meenakshi said...

hehehe.. it is such a relief to know that I am not alone in this troublesome world (especially in such issues). At least you are on a bit of an advantage here 'cos you are a guy. Friends, family, relatives and the unknown world is cruelly insensitive to the women folk in this regard... though silence is my answer almost always; inside my heart i show everyone with such questions a mean tongue-out :-p.

Hashir said...

MB you are right about the advantage part... though I never found it to be true. And yes, silence is the best answer to these queries :D